Saturday, January 31, 2009

"The White Rose"

It was a bright and sunny June day. I stood in front of the congregation along with the other graduates. The elders gave us two roses. One was yellow and one was white. They told us to keep the yellow one and give the white rose to someone who has helped us throughout our lives. The elders instructed us to do this, because they wanted us to acknowledge the power of an influence.

1 Timothy 4:11 creates an ideal example. The Apostle Paul mentored Timothy in order to further his ministry. Paul felt led to instruct Timothy with meaningful exhortation. “Command and teach these things. Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” Paul did not want age or other obstacles to impede Timothy's progress. He believed in him, and knew that Timothy could be successful in his ministry.

Paul passed on his wisdom to Timothy, because he wanted it to benefit the body of Christ. “I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people should conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Timothy 3:14-16).” Paul encouraged Timothy to use his gifts, because his teaching would benefit himself and those who would come after him.

I held my white rose and walked down the aisle. I approached my elementary Sunday school teacher who is also the mother of my best friend. I gave her my rose. Tearing up she asked, “You're giving me your rose?” I said, “Of course. You helped raise me.” A teacher, mentor, supporter and encourager.

Who is your Timothy? Have someone in mind that you can share your wisdom and encourage to carry on your legacy. I want to cherish the knowledge I have been given, and pass it on to the next generation.

No comments: