Friday, April 10, 2009

"Empty Your Tomb"

We entered the chapel behind the sanctuary which was transformed into the empty tomb. Walls resembling stone surrounded us and white linens remained with a bright light cascading upon them. I approached the communion table that was placed inside, and shed a tear as I took the emblems. Our congregation had the privilege of experiencing a visual reenactment after Jesus rose from the dead.

“But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side and they were alarmed. Don't be alarmed, he said. You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen (Mark 16:4-6)!”

When Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead, he had his life on earth taken away. When I looked at the white linens that were used in the tomb, it made me think of what he left. Jesus, the Messiah, had many things taken away from him. He left his friends (the disciples), the people he had healed, and those who he ministered. However, Christ emptied himself to follow his father's plan. This places even more significance on his teaching: “If anyone come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it (Mark 8:34-35).”

As I reminisce about this Easter service, I realize that three years have past. Things seem to be worse than they were then. I have never experienced a time in my life where I have heard so much about families struggling, having fear for our jobs, and worried about peace among nations. It forces me to think about how my life changes from year to year and to recognize the things that are taken away. It also allows me to realize how God has worked in those situations. What have you lost in your lifetime? What has been taken away from you that has left you confused or heartbroken? Remember that Jesus had his life taken from him, but received the ultimate blessing in return. As believers we are urged to remain encouraged. “ And we know that God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).”

No comments: