Monday, September 14, 2009

"Alive with Works"

It was eight o’clock at night and I started up my car to drive home from my grandmother’s house. I looked beside me in the passenger’s seat and saw her laundry basket filled of dirty clothes. It was filled with socks, nightgowns and robes. I normally do not like to look at laundry. In fact, it’s typical that I will dread doing the laundry just like most people will feel. However, for some reason, I became emotional while looking at this basket of laundry. This basket reminded me of how much I enjoyed doing this work for my grandmother. I am actually excited to do her laundry whenever I get the chance. As strange as it sounds, I look forward to gathering up her clothes, making them nice and clean, and returning them to her with a clean fresh scent.

This experience really helped me understand the concept of works and how it is important in our relationship with God. We should not do works, because we feel like we have to in order to earn our salvation. It is written, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:8-10).” We are not saved with works, but we have been made to work for Him. As believers, we are working for Him out of love. We do not need to live in fear as we wonder if we have earned God’s love and have done enough to be saved. Works are a way that we can show our love to God and strengthen our relationship with Him.

As a child, I was not able to see my grandmother as frequently as I am able to now. I am blessed to see her because I live close to her and will schedule the time to make a visit. My grandmother is touched when I am able to help her and do her chores. However, this does not make her love me any more than she did before. I believe my grandmother loved me before I began to help her. The important thing to gather is that it has strengthened my relationship with her. I know that I do not have to do a single thing to earn her love. Although, I cannot help but do these things for her because I know that it shows her that I care and keeps our relationship alive. James 2:26 tells us, “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” If we want our faith to grow and our relationship with God to be healthy, we need to keep it going and bring it to life. I truly feel that this is what God yearns from us. He wants us to understand His indescribable love. How will you keep your faith from fading?

No comments: