Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wash Me Clean

My grandfather, better known as Grandy, saved a little glass jar filled with water from the Jordan river. He had high hopes that one day he would be able to use it to baptize me. On July 6th, 1995, his intention became a reality. He poured the water from the Jordan river into the baptistery and gave me a blessing that will never be forgotten.

Baptism symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus and ourselves along with our growth in the likeness of Christ. “ I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this (John 11: 5)?” Baptism means that we will be able to die to ourselves in this life, and be resurrected from the dead. Jesus proclaims, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it (Luke 9:23-24).” We are given the invitation to rid ourselves of the identity of this world and clothe ourselves in Christ.

Jesus chose to be baptized because he believed “it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness (Matthew 3:15).” Furthermore, Jesus wanted to fulfill his father's commands. “As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from the heaven said, this is my son whom I love, with him I am well pleased (Matthew 3:16-17).”

My Grandy was overjoyed when he was able to baptize me. However, how much more was my Heavenly Father pleased with me? When we choose to give our lives to Christ, we are accepting the plan that our Father laid out for us. Baptism is a choice that you are able to accept. The offer is always open. Are you willingly to accept the invitation?

No comments: