Monday, December 8, 2008

Young, Obedient Mary

A young teenage girl was greeted by the angel Gabriel, and was told she was favored by the LORD. She was informed that she would be with child. In shock, the girl was confused and in disbelief. An unexpected greeting resulted in a life altering event. This is the story of Mary.

The young girl was baffled because she had not known a man. The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you, so the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35).” Still speechless, Gabriel reassured Mary and mentioned that her cousin Elizabeth was able to have a child in her old age, when she thought it was not possible. Thus, he encouraged Mary that she would be able to give birth at a young age despite her confusion (v.36). “Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37).”

What thoughts and fears were running through this young girl's mind? Understandably, she could have been swayed by people's opinions. However, there is no mention of Mary battling over this decision. Instead, she displayed loyalty. “I am the LORD's servant, may it be to me as you have said (Luke 1:38).”

Simultaneously, Mary was presented with a challenge and a blessing. How often do we question a trial when we are in favor with the LORD? It is easy to wonder why we must go through a challenge when we yearn for blessings. However, Mary was certain that the LORD had good things in store for her.

“My soul glorifies the LORD and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior (Luke 1:47).” Mary did not allow the obscurity of the situation to inhibit her as a servant. How many times are we discouraged by our age, circumstance or other people's remarks when we are serving the LORD? I would say I am a fairly compassionate person, but with that comes sensitivity. However, I strive to listen to what God wants from me rather than pleasing people. How can you demonstrate your loyalty toward God? Mary is the epitome of obedience. “For He has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me- holy is His name (Luke 1:48-49).”

1 comment:

cynablonde said...

Some people learn obedience earlier in life than others. This realization came to me later in life. I got some life experience before I realized that sometimes you are rewarded at the end of a trial. Sometimes it seems like all the trials come at once. God still shines through. Our faith in him is what sees us through. Kara I'm enjoying reading your thoughtful devotions. Keep it up!