Saturday, November 8, 2008

More Than a Simple Sacrifice

It was a Thursday evening as I was preparing myself to meet a woman for the first time who was trying to obtain custody of her teenage granddaughter. I looked at my directions and the location had included a “1/2” in the address. I have never heard of this before. I called the woman and shared that I could not find directions to her home, because the “1/2” was rejected by the computer. She disclosed to me that it was because she lived in half of a house. The woman verbally explained how to find her home, as I was reluctant that I would be able to recognize it. This was a destination that I was scared to find, but ended up being truly blessed as I had the pleasure of meeting this incredible woman.


I found the home and was greeted by a grandmother who was filled with joy. She explained that she did not have a bedroom and slept on a bed that was in her living room. I gently informed her that by law, she would need to have a bed for the child. Without hesitation, she said that she would offer her bed to her granddaughter and she would sleep on the couch or even the floor for that matter. Coming from a person who is very particular about her bed and pillows, I was truly humbled by this sacrifice and gained a valuable lesson.


In tithes and offerings, you are under a curse-the whole nation of you-because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, says the LORD Almighty and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it (Malachi 3:8- 10).” This woman sacrificed her comfort and personal space for her granddaughter. I further questioned her to see if she would be okay with this adjustment, and she shared that she would do whatever it took in order for her granddaughter to be in her care. Just as it teaches in Malachi, we need to bring meaningful sacrifices to the LORD. Despite the “1/2” house that she made into her home, this woman did not let that stand in the way of the “whole” offering that she sacrificed with a joyful heart.


No tear was shed from her eyes and not an ounce of fear was expressed on her face. She would be honored to provide a home for her granddaughter and revealed that she serves as her motivation to do whatever it would take to make it happen. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).


As I drove home, I realized that this woman’s sacrifice was nothing but simple. She had one luxury of a comfortable, warm bed, yet it meant nothing to her. Through the storm of living in a small, lonely home, she kept her eyes on her goal. This can remind us to focus on the blessings that are in store rather than the things of this world. For we are promised, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9).”

No comments: