Saturday, November 8, 2008

Myriad of Stains

It was the first Sunday in October, which meant it was a communion service. As music played during the meditation time, I gazed up at the stained glass window that read, “I am the way, the truth and the life.” I focused on the many colors that were in the glass, and realized that each piece was so different. More importantly, I noticed that each piece had to have been broken in order to create this beautiful, finished work of art.


The blessing was made upon the bread, and I thought of Christ’s death as I held that broken piece of his body in my hand. “ For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross (1 Corinthians 1:19-20).” As I focused on the bread, I realized that Christ’s death and submission to his Father became the most necessary act that would allow us to become whole. He was willingly to be broken, in order to find completion.


Broken pieces of our lives can be so confusing. Why do we become so discouraged when we experience these trials? It’s natural to feel this way, because we don’t know the finished product. “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit (Psalm 34:18).” God is close to us when we are broken, because he is ready to restore our souls.


“The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me

(1 Corinthians 11:24).” We engaged in partaking the bread, and experienced Christ’s fullness.

Perhaps we wouldn’t be so discouraged if we knew that our brokenness would be used to create something beautiful in its completion.


What will become of your brokenness? What could be made of it? How will the end result look? “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

No comments: