Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wash . . . Rinse . . . Repeat

My husband and I are still considered newlyweds, and are enjoying the experience. It has been an eye opener to learn to live with a male. I am still amazed at the difference in time that it takes us to get ready in the morning. He is showered and ready to go in no more than twenty minutes. With me, well, it takes a lot longer than that. We both have our morning routines, and have adjusted to the time that it takes for each one. However, there is a morning ritual that does not involve soap, shampoo or deodorant. It is a daily ritual that is spiritual, and needs to happen on a consistent basis.


During a Sunday message, the phrase “dying to ourselves daily” stuck in my mind. We were focusing on the verse from Luke 9:23 which says, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” I kept focusing on that word “daily” and realized how easy it is to miss the meaning. After we dedicate ourselves to Christ, it is easy to think that we are set for life and all of our problems will be solved. Since life surrounds us with challenges, it is not that easy. It hit me that I needed to take this ritual to another level.


Christ wants us to take up his cross, so we can gain his life through us. “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. (Luke 9: 24-25)?” Our relationship with Christ needs to go beyond Sunday morning and whenever we happen to open our Bibles. Why not go deeper? Our relationship needs to be renewed every day.


I feel led to explore this instruction of taking up his cross daily. Experts say that it takes twenty-one days to form a habit. So, I have decided to use these days to create a ritual of dying to myself daily. I invite you to accept the challenge along with me. You may read this and think that it sounds good and you should do it. But why not actually try to experience it, and see what blessings are in store? Create a routine that allows you to make a commitment. Perhaps you want to include this in your morning prayer, write in a journal or mark it on your calendar for each day. Whichever you choose, make sure to do this everyday, and be ready to follow him.


Christ wants us to find hope from the ways of this world. If you are dissatisfied with your life, then you are ready to take this challenge. Be ready to surrender the trials and hardships of your life. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17)! What will your routine look like tomorrow? How will you incorporate your submission? Experience the challenge to die to yourself and surrender to Christ, which transforms our commitment each day of our lives.



No comments: